In 1940 as Karori Cemetery edged towards full capacity, the Board of Health required Wellington city to find another burial site for the population.
Mākara was the chosen location. Land was bought under the Public Works Act in 1951 and 1955, and the first burial occurred in 1965. The cemetery is currently about one-third full.
Mākara Cemetery is the first New Zealand cemetery to offer natural burials.
DetailsSite: Wellington City Council
Address237 Makara Road